Thursday, August 26, 2010

Ismailia, Egypt 15/1/16


Dear Mother,
I sent a cable last week to say I was all serene. We are camped about two miles out in the desert on the bank of a fresh water canal which runs back from the town and eventually meets the Nile somewhere about Cairo.
I received your parcel of underclothing all right. It arrived at a most opportune time as we had brought no clothing off the Peninsula with us. Since then we have had a lot of gift stuff given to us and now we have a plentiful supply of socks writing paper chocolate etc.
The Sevenths and some of the Eighths arrived last week. Gordon seems to be in good trim. I saw Will Schaumann and Thomson the other day too, they seemed to be fit. The old hands are getting a few days leave in Port Said five percent at a time. I hope to be able to go soon. I am buying a vest pocket camera and intend to carry it with me in future I often wished I had one on the peninsula. The weather here is fairly warm at present but the heat is not yet oppressive though it is becoming warmer daily.
Love to all, your affectionate son, Rawei
[From Rawei's photo album, labeled "Catholic Church, Ismailia".]

4 comments:

  1. All Serene?! The word had perhaps a fuller meaning back then? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS CHURCH IS NOT IN ISMAILIA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I came across this post as I was searching for photos of Ismailia.

    As an inhabitant of Cairo I can say with all confidence that this church is indeed in Cairo, in the Heliopolis area. It's actually a basilica.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from ismailia and this church not from our city

    ReplyDelete